The Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi Heart Failure Academy for Pharmacists exposes trainees to an immersive learning environment. With access to a comprehensive curriculum, and real-life scenarios with hands-on practice that is mentored by subject matter experts, trainees can understand and implement current best practices in heart failure in the best possible setting.
The 2-week course covers the foundations of implementation of management of heart failure (HF) and exposes trainees to current best practices through didactic lectures delivered by experts in the field, as well as hand-on training utilizing state-of-the-art technology.
- To provide the foundational knowledge needed to optimize medications for heart failure patients
- To provide the necessary knowledge and skills needed to implement transition of care services in heart failure
- To expose trainees to state-of-the-art strategies and technology used in heart failure
- To demonstrate how to evaluate the effectiveness of initiatives and interventions in heart failure through measurement of outcomes
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the format of the Heart Failure Academy program?
The program curriculum is spread over a 2-week, 10-day period. The first week is dedicated to foundations of implementation of management of heart failure (HF), and the second builds on the first week and provides more advanced knowledge. Trainees will be attending daily multidisciplinary team rounds and provided the chance to work on state-of-the art clinical decision support system.
Throughout the 2-week period, trainees will get the chance to participate in multidisciplinary HF rounds and interface with various healthcare providers to optimize medications prescribed under the preceptorship of experts in the field.
What are the application requirements?
Applications are open to pharmacists looking to practice in heart failure management in their home institution. All applicants will be required to submit a program online application in addition to the necessary supplemental documents.
- Heart Failure Academy online application form
- Letter of intent (cover letter)
- 1 Letter of recommendation (from their current or previous supervisor)
- Health clearance agreement
- Police clearance letter
- Proof of health insurance (copy of health insurance / coverage in UAE)
Which topics are covered on the program?
Topics covered include, but are not limited to:
- Heart failure patient assessment
- Heart failure medications pharmacology
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of HF meds and their clinical application
- Heart failure medications titration to target doses
- Management of acute decompensated heart failure
- Advanced heart failure management
- Management of patients with left ventricular assist device Measuring and reporting outcomes of heart failure transition of care (TOC) initiatives
- Implementing heart failure TOC strategies