Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi’s Antimicrobial Stewardship Program (ASP) Academy offers pharmacists exposure to current best practices in clinical microbiology and infectious disease state management.
For pharmacists looking to implement an antimicrobial stewardship program in their home institution, the program immerses participants in a setting that provides access to a comprehensive curriculum in a real-life setting. Hands-on practice mentored by subject matter experts, ensures the best possible learning experience.
Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi’s Antimicrobial Stewardship Program is the only program outside of the US to be designated as a Center of Excellence (COE) by the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA).
- To outline the essentials of clinical microbiology, pharmacology, pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, and infectious disease state management necessary in antimicrobial stewardship
- To identify the skills needed to establish an antimicrobial stewardship program
- To design empiric antimicrobial treatment regimens and recommend optimization of therapy during multi-disciplinary patient care rounds
- To explain how to evaluate the effectiveness of an antimicrobial stewardship program through the measurement of outcomes
What is the format of the Antimicrobial Stewardship Program?
The program includes a didactic component which provides the foundational knowledge needed in implementing and sustaining ASP. The program also has a hands-on training component which allows for implementation of the foundational knowledge during the training. Trainees will be attending daily multidisciplinary team rounds and provided the chance to work on state-of-the-art clinical decision support system and real time surveillance software utilized to optimize antimicrobial therapy.
How long is the program?
The program curriculum is spread over a 2-week, 10-day period. The first week is dedicated to foundations of implementation of antimicrobial stewardship and the second week builds on the first week to provide more advanced knowledge to maintain ASP programs.
Which topics are included?
- Antimicrobial pharmacology
- Pharmacodynamics of antimicrobials and their clinical application
- Optimizing antimicrobial dosing
- Clinical microbiology and the use of rapid diagnostics in ASP
- Management of various infectious disease states including:
- Lower respiratory tract infections
- Intraabdominal infections
- Urinary tract infections
- Infective endocarditis
- Skin and soft tissue infections
- Intravascular catheter related bloodstream infections
- Central nervous system infections
- Implementing ASP strategies
- Measuring and reporting outcomes of ASP
What are the application requirements?
Applicants will be required to submit the program online application in addition to the following:
- ASP Academy online application form
- Letter of intent (cover letter)
- One letter of recommendation [from their current or previous supervisor]
- Health clearance agreement
- Police clearance letter
- Proof of health insurance (copy of health insurance/coverage in the UAE)