Instructions for the Maintenance of Wakefulness Test
- You are requested to proceed to Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi’s main hospital entrance and go to the Registration Desk, located on Level G, to register for check in.
- You are advised to take your prescribed medications at home. Strictly no medications should be taken once you are admitted to the hospital. Strictly no medications will be allowed at your bedside.
- Bring your Emirates ID and Insurance card for the registration.
- Avoid napping on the day of study.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, sedatives, and stimulants of any kind for 24 hours. These include tea, coffee and soft drinks, unless otherwise directed by your physician.
- Make sure you have at least six hours of sleep prior to the Maintenance of Wakefulness Test (MWT), which usually starts at 7:30 am and ends at around 4:00 pm.
- If your physician requested an overnight sleep study before the MWT, please eat your regular evening meal before you arrive to at the Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi Sleep Disorders Center. Please arrive on time to your scheduled sleep study.
- On the day of the study, make sure that your hair is free of oil, creams, lotions, hair spray, gel, heavy conditioners and other products. Women must not wear makeup. Women must remove nail polish or artificial nails.
- Certain medications might affect the test. It is important discuss these with your sleep physician prior to the sleep study. DO NOT stop taking any prescribed medications without checking with your family physician beforehand. An optional urine drug test may be requested by your physician.
- If you are using Positive Airway Pressure (PAP) Therapy (CPAP/Bi-Level) machine, use it at night before the day of test as you do on every other night.
- Bring comfortable sleep wear. Underwear, gym shorts, and/or a two-piece pajama with buttons in front are preferred if you will undergo an overnight sleep study. You will be asked to change into your regular clothing during the day time.
- Bring your sleep questionnaires and sleep log.
- Notify us in advance if you have a disability that requires special assistance. You may be required to have a family member or Caregiver present during testing.
- You will be provided with lunch during the test.
- Please make sure to arrive at least 30 minutes before your scheduled appointment, and arrange to be picked up at the Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi main hospital entrance at around 4:30 pm the following day.
It is extremely important to keep your scheduled appointment.
Please contact Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi at 800 8 CCAD (2223) if you need to cancel your appointment. To speak with a Sleep Technologist after hours (7 pm to 7 am), please call 800 8 CCAD (2223), extension 19064. For more information, please visit clevelandclinicabudhabi.ae.
© Copyright 2023 Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi. All rights reserved.
This information is provided by Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi, part of Mubadala Healthcare, and is not intended to replace the medical advice of your doctor or health care provider. Please consult your health care provider for advice about a specific medical condition.