YOUR BOWEL MUST BE EMPTY SO THAT YOUR PHYSICIAN CAN CLEARLY VIEW YOUR COLO
- It is necessary to thoroughly cleanse your intestine (bowel) prior to colonoscopy.
- This decreases the chances of missing pathology and may reduce the duration of the procedure.
PLEASE FOLLOW ALL OF THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THIS DOCUMENT EXACTLY AS THEY ARE WRITTEN
- The instructions in this document must be carefully followed and completed in order for the colonoscopy procedure to be successful.
- If you have any questions, please call the Contact Center at 02 410 8228 or 02 501 9000.
AT LEAST TWO DAYS BEFORE YOUR COLONOSCOPY
- Have the prescriptions from your physician for the Klean-Prep solution and Dulcolax tablets available at least two days prior to your procedure.
ONE DAY BEFORE YOUR COLONOSCOPY
- Start a clear liquid only diet.
- Do NOT eat any solid foods starting at 8:00 am the day before your colonoscopy.
- Clear liquids are liquids you can see light through, such as water, apple juice, broth, soda, tea, popsicles and jelly.
- Do not drink anything that is red or purple.
- Do not eat solid foods.
- Do not drink milk, milk products or creamers.
- You might have to stop taking certain medications prior to the procedure. Please check with your physician.
- Insulin or diabetes pills: please call the physician who monitors your glucose levels. Your insulin dosage may need to be adjusted due to the dietary restrictions required for bowel preparation. Please bring your diabetes and blood pressure medications with you on the day of your procedure.
- Inform your physician if you are using blood thinners, such as Aspirin, Coumadin, Plavix, Ticlid, Agrylin, Xarelto, Pradaxa or Effient.
BY 4:00 PM ON THE DAY BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE
- You should have four packets of Klean-Prep available. Please mix each packet of Klean-Prep in one liter of water. The total volume of preparation should be four liters once you have mixed all four packets.
- Drink about 250 ml of the preparation (about a medium-sized glass) every 10-15 minutes.
- You should drink a total volume of four liters of preparation over approximately four hours.
- After consuming Klean-prep, take two Dulcolax tablets.
- You may continue to drink clear liquids all day to prevent dehydration and allow the preparation to cleanse your colon.
- You will receive a call the business day afternoon between 12:30 pm to 5:00 pm with instructions for arrival time and fasting. Please be available.
THE DAY OF YOUR COLONOSCOPY
- Please stop drinking four hours before your arrival to the hospital. Take your any prescribed medications in the morning with a sip of water.
- Please go to the Endoscopy Clinic reception on Level 3. Take elevator bank D up to Level 3, and take a left towards the reception desk.
- Please arrange to have an adult Caregiver or family member take you home after the procedure as you may still have some effects from the medication, including faint feeling, nausea or poor memory.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS ABOUT THE PROCEDURE OR PREPARATION FOR THE PROCEDURE
Sunday through Thursday, from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm:
Please call the Contact Center at 800 8 CCAD (800 8 2223), and request to speak to a Digestive Disease clinic shift lead.
After hours and during weekends:
Please call the Contact Center at 800 8 CCAD (800 8 2223), and request to speak to the physician on-call.
© Copyright 2017 Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi. All rights reserved.
This information is provided by Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi, part of Mubadala Healthcare, and is not intended to replace the medical advice of your doctor or health care provider. Please consult your health care provider for advice about a specific medical condition.