Overview of the Cardiac & Pulmonary Imaging Program
The Cardiac & Pulmonary Imaging Program at Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi’s Imaging Institute offers subspecialty expertise in the diagnosis of cardiothoracic diseases involving the heart, lungs, chest wall, mediastinum (the partition of the chest cavity), and pleura (the thin membrane covering the lungs and lining the chest cavity).
Thoracic imaging studies are conducted using state-of-the-art technology to support a comprehensive range of diagnostic and treatment procedures of the chest. In addition, Cardiac & Pulmonary Imaging Program specialists assist surgeons in image-guided, minimally invasive, and robotic surgeries. Robotically-assisted surgeries are highly advantageous in that they allow for greater dexterity in very complex operations, as well as a quicker recovery for the patient.
The multidisciplinary team is made up of Western-trained consultant physicians who are leading experts in the diagnostic field of cardiac and pulmonary diseases, focused on providing thorough, Patients First care.
What We Treat
The Cardiac & Pulmonary Imaging Program supports other Institutes at Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi to facilitate timely and accurate disease diagnosis, as well as provide specialized care during image-guided procedures. Caregivers may participate in diagnosis or treatment of the following conditions:
- Lung cancer
- Pulmonary emphysema (damage to the air sacs in the lungs that causes shortness of breath)
- Interstitial lung disease (group of disorders characterized by scarring of the deep lung tissue)
- Occupational lung disease (lung disease caused by pollution in the workplace)
- Pulmonary hypertension (high blood pressure affecting blood vessels in the lungs)
- Infectious lung diseases, including tuberculosis
- Myocardial disease (also known as cardiomyopathy; disease of the heart muscle)
- Heart failure
- Congenital heart disease (condition of the heart that is present at birth)
- Aortic and Valvular disease (conditions of the aortic artery or heart valves)
Diagnosis & Treatment with Cardiac & Pulmonary Imaging
Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi’s Cardiac & Pulmonary Imaging Program provides advanced diagnostic computed tomography (CT) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) for the evaluation of myocardial diseases, cardiomyopathy, heart failure, congenital heart disease, aortic and valvular disease, and pulmonary hypertension.
Dedicated imaging protocols for CT and MRI image acquisition and processing are specially designed to provide optimal imaging for the evaluation of cardiothoracic disease. Cardiac & Pulmonary Imaging Program caregivers collaborate with physicians in Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi’s Heart & Vascular Institute and Respiratory & Critical Care Institute to assist in disease diagnosis and treatment.
The Imaging Institute is unique in its ability to utilize advanced post-processing software for manipulation of data through 3D techniques to create multiplanar angiographic images and measurements (images and measurements of the blood vessels). Such measurements are helpful in providing data to assist in both diagnosis and minimally invasive treatment of complex cardiac and pulmonary diseases, such as robotically-assisted coronary grafting and valvular surgeries.
Cardiac & Pulmonary Imaging Program Caregivers
The Cardiac & Pulmonary Imaging Program is made up of a multidisciplinary team of caregivers that work in close communication with referring physicians. Caregivers involved in patient care for this program are:
- Technologists specialized in cardiac and pulmonary imaging
- Nurses specially trained to work with patients undergoing cardiac and pulmonary imaging procedures
Copyright © Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi LLC 2018