Overview of the Urology Program
The Urology Program at Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi’s Surgical Subspecialties Institute treats patients who have problems with the bladder, prostate, and kidneys, as well as the reproductive organs in men. This may include problems with erections, ejaculation, and infertility.
The Urology Program is recognized for the high standard of Patients First care in the diagnosis and treatment of a wide range of urological problems.
Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi’s Urology Program is now at the forefront of performing kidney transplantation through its multidisciplinary transplant program, including live donor kidney transplant with laparoscopic kidney retrieval. The program also stands out as the first and only center in the United Arab Emirates that treats men with prostate cancer using minimally invasive robotic surgery. These minimally invasive kidney and prostate surgeries allow for less pain, reduced use of pain medication, and much faster recovery for the patient.
What We Treat
The Urology Program offers highly specialized, personalized care for conditions such as:
- Urinary incontinence (inability to hold urine)
- Voiding dysfunction (difficulty urinating)
- Other diseases of the bladder
The Urology Program’s expert team treats a range of kidney conditions, including offering kidney transplant surgery for patients with end-stage renal disease (ESRD). Kidney conditions treated by the program’s expert team include:
- Kidney failure, or renal disease, requiring kidney transplant
- Kidney cancer
- Kidney stones (hard salt and mineral deposits in the kidneys that pass into the urinary tract)
- Renal artery aneurysm (bulge in one of the arteries that bring blood to the kidneys)
When a patient requires a renal transplant, the Urology Program is equipped to apply the latest technologies to perform kidney transplant surgery, including both living related kidney transplant (kidney donated by a living relative) and deceased donor kidney transplantation. In the case of living related kidney transplant, the donor is offered kidney retrieval with minimally invasive laparoscopy, resulting in faster recovery after the surgery.
Specialist physicians offer men treatment for conditions of the prostate, including minimally invasive prostate cancer surgery. The team addreses:
- Prostate Cancer
- Enlarged prostate, including benign (noncancerous) enlargement of the prostate
Male Reproductive System Conditions
The Urology Program team is equipped to assist patients with a wide range of conditions of the male reproductive system, including:
- Varicocele (when the veins in the scrotum, the sack that holds the testes, get enlarged)
- Scrotal abscess (a tender, pus-filled spot on the scrotum, usually caused by infection)
- Andropause (hormonal changes in men that may occur with age, also known as testosterone deficiency)
- Anejaculation (difficulty ejaculating)
- Balanitis (inflammation of the head of the penis or foreskin)
- Difficulty urinating
- Decreased libido
- Erectile dysfunction (difficulty maintaining an erection, also known as impotence)
- Male infertility (inability to conceive a child)
- Genital diseases (such as sexually transmitted infections)
Pelvic Floor Disorder
Pelvic floor disorder can often be successfully treated and improve quality of life. The caregivers in the Pelvic Floor Program at Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi work as a multidisciplinary team that includes specialties from: Colorectal Surgery, Gastroenterology, Urology, Physical Therapy, Radiology and Nursing.
Diagnosis & Treatment with Urology
Diagnosis with Urology
At the first appointment, Urology Program physicians ask patients to provide a medical history and discuss the full history of their symptoms. This is followed by testing to obtain a detailed diagnosis. Diagnostic testing may include:
- Measurement of the flow of urine (urine flow rate)
- Urodynamic testing to examine the emptying of the bladder
- Examination of the bladder and prostate with a telescopic camera
- Male fertility testing
Once the condition is correctly identified, physicians discuss medical and surgical treatment options with the patient.
Treatment with Urology
Medical or surgical treatment options may be available for urologic conditions. The Urology Program’s caregivers are experienced in performing a number of advanced procedures to treat urologic disease, including:
- Adrenalectomy: Surgery to remove an adrenal gland due to a tumor.
- Cryotherapy: Also known as cryoablation, freezing diseased tissue to destroy it.
- Cystoscopy: Procedure in which a small tube with a camera is inserted through the urethra to view the bladder. In some cases, cystoscopy can be used to remove a bladder tumor.
- Cytoreductive nephrectomy: Removal of a full kidney or part of a kidney in patients with metastatic kidney cancer (kidney cancer that has spread).
- Cystectomy: Using a minimally invasive, robotic surgical approach to remove the bladder. This procedure can be used in some cases of bladder cancer.
- Prostatectomy: Using a minimally invasive, robotic surgical approach to remove the prostate. This procedure is offered in some cases of prostate cancer.
- Orthotopic neobladder reconstruction: Procedure to divert urine after the bladder has been removed due to bladder cancer.
- Urethral reconstruction: Surgery to treat urethral stricture, or narrowing of the urethra (the tube that carries urine, as well as semen in men).
- Bladder neck suspension: Surgery used to reposition a woman’s bladder, offered in some cases of urinary incontinence.
- Sphincter prosthesis: Placement of an artificial sphincter, offered in some cases of urinary incontinence.
- Penile implant: Placement of a device that fits in the penis and testes to treat erectile dysfunction.
The Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi Surgical Institute’s Urology Program is able to offer minimally invasive, laparoscopic surgery to eligible patients for selected procedures. The Urology Program team performs laparoscopic surgery for adrenalectomy, partial or radical nephrectomy, prostatectomy, and radical cystectomy. Prostatectomies and cystectomies can be performed as cutting-edge, robotic surgical procedures.
All patients who have surgical treatment must return to Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi for a routine follow-up appointment with the surgeon.
Urology Program Caregivers
The Urology Program at Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi’s Surgical Subspecialties Institute is a multidisciplinary team of caregivers working together to provide discreet and compassionate treatment to patients.
Caregivers involved in patient care for this program include:
- Nurse practitioners
- Physical therapists
VIEW ALL DOCTORS WHO CAN HELP WITH Urology Program
Copyright © Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi LLC 2018