Overview of the Obesity Program
The Obesity Program at Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of obesity and its complications.
Obesity is a growing problem worldwide. Since 1975, obesity has nearly tripled. Today, around 13 percent of the world’s population is considered obese. Using a Patients First approach, the caregivers in the Obesity Program offer compassionate, comprehensive care for their patients. They provide the most advanced diagnostics and treatment interventions available to help patients achieve a healthy future.
What We Treat
The Obesity Program treats adult patients who suffer from being excessively overweight.
Overweight and obesity are both terms for weight ranges that are greater than what is considered healthy for a given height. Both conditions are risk factors for chronic diseases, such as:
- Cardiovascular disease (heart disease)
- Osteoarthritis (when the cartilage that covers bone joints breaks down, causing pain)
- Fatty liver disease (when too much fat is stored in liver cells)
The caregivers in the Obesity Program provide comprehensive services that include:
- Evaluations for hormonal problems associated with obesity
- Screening for complications of obesity
- Nutritional assessments
Diagnosis & Treatment
Diagnosis of Obesity
At the initial visit, each patient is evaluated by an Obesity Program physician who obtains a detailed medical history and conducts a physical examination.
Based on the information obtained, the physicians may:
- Order laboratory or imaging tests
- Evaluate hormonal imbalances that may be responsible for the patient’s weight gain
- Check for complications of obesity, such as diabetes or fatty liver disease
- Order tests to determine whether the patient is suffering from vitamin deficiencies
Treatment of Obesity
Most patients have continuous follow-up with a nutritionist for detailed dietary advice. Recommendations for dietary changes are tailored to each patient.
Treatment with weight loss medications is also available, and always combined with lifestyle guidance. When patients meet the criteria for obesity treatment using medication, they are closely monitored to assess their response to the therapy.
Some patients may be suitable candidates for weight loss surgery. If appropriate, the Obesity Program makes a referral to the Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi Digestive Disease Institute’s Bariatric Surgery Program to evaluate a patient for surgical treatment of obesity.
Obesity Program Caregivers
Obesity Program caregivers at Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi’s Medical Subspecialties Institute provide compassionate and comprehensive care for obesity and its related disorders. Caregivers involved in patient care for this program include:
- Metabolic surgeons
- Patient Educators
VIEW ALL DOCTORS WHO CAN HELP WITH Obesity