Overview of the Musculoskeletal Imaging Program
The Musculoskeletal Imaging Program at Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi’s Imaging Institute provides expert imaging for bone, joint, and muscle disorders. The multidisciplinary team of caregivers makes use of a range of imaging technologies, including radiography, computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and ultrasound.
In addition to a full breadth of musculoskeletal imaging services, the Musculoskeletal Imaging Program is unique for its deep medical focus on rheumatological disorders like rheumatoid arthritis and bone and joint disorders that are related to diabetes complications.
What We Treat
The Musculoskeletal Imaging Program supports physicians in other specialties at Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi, including rheumatologists in the Medical Subspecialties Institute, to facilitate timely and accurate diagnosis of bone, joint, and muscle disorders. Caregivers provide imaging support for conditions like:
- Rheumatoid arthritis: Rheumatoid arthritis is a long-lasting autoimmune disorder that typically results in swollen and painful joints. Early detection and treatment of the condition is important for helping patients with rheumatoid arthritis to maintain their quality of life.
- Bone and joint disorders related to complications of diabetes: Having diabetes is associated with a higher risk of bone and joint problems like osteoarthritis (inflammation of joint tissue) and Charcot foot (joint disease that occurs because of nerve damage). Imaging has a key role in determining whether a patient has one of these conditions, and how serious it is.
- Bone tumors: Tumors, or masses of abnormal cells, that occur in the bones. Bone tumors can be benign (noncancerous) or malignant (cancerous).
- Soft tissue tumors: Tumors in muscular tissue, which can be benign or malignant.
Diagnosis & Treatment with Musculoskeletal Imaging
The highly trained Musculoskeletal Imaging Program team offers the following imaging studies for bone, joint, and muscle disease diagnosis and treatment:
- Bone, joint, and muscle imaging studies utilizing x-ray, computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), ultrasound, and bone densitometry technologies
- Fluoroscopic and MRI joint arthrograms (studies using x-rays or magnetic beams to generate a series of photos of a joint)
- Image guidance for steroid and anesthetic injections, used for diagnostic procedures and pain management
- Bone and soft tissue biopsies to check for tumors
In particular, MRI has become the gold standard imaging test for rheumatoid arthritis, surpassing x-ray in the detection and assessment of patients with the condition. MRI also plays a role in rheumatoid arthritis treatment. It is used to inform drug therapy, allowing sometimes expensive therapeutic medications to be used cost-effectively.
Focused on providing cutting-edge, Patients First care in imaging, the Musculoskeletal Imaging Program at Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi aims to incorporate the newest diagnostic and therapeutic methods as they become available.
Musculoskeletal Imaging Program Caregivers
The multidisciplinary Musculoskeletal Imaging Program team at Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi’s Imaging Institute is composed of Western-trained, board certified physicians who work in close collaboration with clinical colleagues across a range of specialties. Caregivers involved patient care for this program are:
- X-ray, CT, MRI, and ultrasound imaging technologists
- Emergency medicine physicians
Copyright © Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi LLC 2018