Overview of Hernia Surgery Program
The hernia surgical offering at Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi is comprised of expert surgeons who put Patients First. These experts specialize in open surgical and advanced laparoscopic procedures for the treatment of abdominal wall and hernia conditions for adults over the age of 14. Their expertise ranges from common inguinal and umbilical hernia operations to complex abdominal wall reconstruction s when necessary.
Abdominal wall reconstruction surgery is required when the lining of the abdominal wall has become weak due to recurring (repeating) hernias.
These advanced procedures include techniques with muscle flaps for patients who have had disfiguring abdominal wall defects, often from previous surgeries that had complications due to weakness in the patient’s abdomen.
What We Treat
Hernias are one of the most common reasons for surgery that occur worldwide. A hernia occurs when an organ that is usually held into place by muscles and tissue protrudes through an opening in the tissue that holds it into place. Hernias vary in complexity and the types of hernias include inguinal and umbilical hernias, as well as large and potentially disfiguring ventral and incisional hernias. All hernias require urgent medical attention.
We provide surgical treatment for congenital (present at birth) or acquired hernias, such as:
- Inguinal & femoral hernias: Hernias of the groin or thigh.
- Umbilical hernias: Hernias of the navel area.
- Spigelian hernias: Hernias of the lower abdomen.
- Epigastric hernias: Hernias of the upper abdomen.
- Obturator hernias: Hernias of the pelvic floor.
- Hiatal hernias: Hernias that form when the stomach pushes up through the diaphragm.
- Diaphragmatic hernias: Hernias involving the diaphragm and organs in the chest that form as the result of a birth defect.
Conditions of the Abdominal Wall
Ventral or incisional hernias are hernias that occur in the abdominal wall (layers of muscles in the abdomen) due to complications from previous surgeries or hernia repair operations. In some cases, patients who have had previous surgery or postoperative complications develop infections or other problems that may lead to the failure of the abdominal wall to heal properly. These circumstances include:
- Large or recurrent hernias of the abdominal wall
- Incarcerated or strangulated hernias
- Hernias at stoma sites, such as a hernia at a colostomy
- Hernias with overlying tissue loss or infection
- Open abdominal wall defects
- Catastrophic abdominal events
Each patient who visits the Digestive Disease Institute for hernia or abdominal wall issues is assessed and treated by a multidisciplinary team of general surgeons, foregut surgeons, plastic surgeons, and wound care experts.
Diagnosis & Treatment for Hernia Surgery
Diagnosis for Hernia Surgery
At the Digestive Disease Institute at Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi, our teams of specialists are highly trained in the diagnosis and treatment of hernias as well as complications from previous surgeries.
After being referred, a patient will typically have an initial consultation with a surgeon. As needed, patients may undergo CT examination and further discussion of diagnosis, options, expectations, and recovery.
Treatment with Hernia Surgery
Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi’s comprehensive Hernia Surgery Program offers the following interventions for hernia repair:
- Laparoscopic surgical hernia repair: A minimally-invasive surgery that uses a few tiny incisions (one to two centimeters long) and special instruments attached to the end of a thin flexible tube.
- Open surgical hernia repair: A traditional open surgical technique that uses one long incision (three to six inches long) to access the hernia. Though more invasive, this approach may be the best option for some patients.
- Robotic hernia repairs: A minimally-invasive approach that uses robotic technologies to control instruments. This technology allows for greater dexterity and precision.
- Complex abdominal wall reconstruction: This surgery often requires repairing damage and defects acquired from previously failed surgeries. This type of surgery can be performed using open, laparoscopic, or robotic techniques.
Hernia Surgery Program Caregivers
The surgery teams at Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi’s Hernia Surgery Program are comprised of specialists from a variety of disciplines. Caregivers involved in patient care for this program are:
- General surgeons
- Plastic surgeons
- Internal medicine physicians
Copyright © Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi LLC 2018