The day before capsule endoscopy
- Start the prescribed liquid diet at 12:00 Noon.
- Administer the two packets of Klean-Prep starting at 6:00 PM the evening prior to the scheduled procedure. Dissolve each packet in one liter of water. Administer at a rate of 250m(about medium size cup) every 10-15 minutes until the total volume is consumed. You may have coffee, tea, carbonated beverages, water, cranberry, grape or apple juice, bouillon, Jell-O, water, ice or Popsicles. No other foods or beverages are allowed. Continue to drink liquids all day, to prevent dehydration and allow the drugs to cleanse you thoroughly.
- Do not eat or drink after midnight except for necessary medication with a sip of water.
On the day of capsule endoscopy
- Do not take any medication two hours before having the exam.
- Do not apply body lotion or powder to your abdomen.
- Wear loose-fitting, two-piece clothing. Your upper clothing should be opaque.
After swallowing the capsule
Contact your physician's office immediately if you suffer from any abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting during the procedure.
- You may drink colorless liquids starting two hours after swallowing the capsule.
- You may have a light snack four hours after ingestion. After the examination is completed, you may return to your normal diet.
- Use the provided Capsule Endoscopy Event Form, to note the time of any event such as eating, drinking or a change in your activity. Return the completed Event Form to your physician at the time you return the equipment.
- Avoid strong electromagnetic fields such as MRI devices or ham radios after swallowing the capsule and until you pass it in a bowel movement.
- Do not disconnect the equipment or completely remove the recorder at any time during the procedure.
- Avoid sudden movements and banging of the recorder.
- Avoid direct exposure to bright sunlight.
For questions about the procedure or the prep:
During regular business hours Sunday through Thursday please call the Contact Center 800 8 CCAD (800 8 2223) and request to be transferred to a Digestive Disease Institute clinic nurse.
After hours and during weekends, please call Contact Center 800 8 CCAD (800 8 2223) and request to speak to the physician On-Call.
© Copyright 2017 Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi. All rights reserved.
This information is provided by Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi, part of Mubadala Healthcare, and is not intended to replace the medical advice of your doctor or health care provider. Please consult your health care provider for advice about a specific medical condition.