Staloral Oral/Sublingual immunotherapy is an effective treatment for allergies. It is indicated for patients suffering from moderate to severe allergic rhinitis and/or mild to moderate allergic asthma.
How does allergen immunotherapy work?
Allergen Immunotherapy reduces the inflammation by:
- Reducing the production of antibodies (IgE) which induce an allergic reaction.
- Reducing the production of chemical substances that are released after contact with the allergen.
How to take the Staloral
- Staloral is a liquid solution in a vial endowed with a dosage pump
- Take in the morning on an empty stomach
- Keep under tongue for at least 2 minutes, then swallow
- The drops can have a salty/sweet oily or unpleasant taste
- Do NOT eat or drink anything for 15 minutes
- In case you forget to take the medication in the morning, take before bedtime instead.
Common side effects:
- Oral itching or swelling
- Tongue swelling
- Throat irritation
Uncommon side effects:
- Upset stomach, diarrhea
- Coughing, sneezing
Controlling side effects
- The itchy mouth usually settles after 4-6 weeks. Inform your doctor if it does not. An antihistamine may be prescribed
- Local itching can be minimized by directing the liquid to under the side of tongue instead of under the front
- If side effects are bothering you: call your doctor for further advice
What should be done in case of omission?
- Less than one day: continue as usual the next day.
- Less than one week: resume taking it as usual without any change.
- More than one week: call your doctor for advice.