The day before capsule endoscopy
- Start the prescribed liquid diet at 12:00 Noon.
- Administer the two packets of Klean-Prep starting at 6:00 PM the evening prior to the scheduled procedure. Dissolve each packet in one liter of water. Administer at a rate of 250m(about medium size cup) every 10-15 minutes until the total volume is consumed. You may have coffee, tea, carbonated beverages, water, cranberry, grape or apple juice, bouillon, Jell-O, water, ice or Popsicles. No other foods or beverages are allowed. Continue to drink liquids all day, to prevent dehydration and allow the drugs to cleanse you thoroughly.
- Do not eat or drink after midnight except for necessary medication with a sip of water.
On the day of capsule endoscopy
- Do not take any medication two hours before having the exam.
- Do not apply body lotion or powder to your abdomen.
- Wear loose-fitting, two-piece clothing. Your upper clothing should be opaque.
- Arrive for your appointment at the scheduled time: _______________
After swallowing the capsule
Contact your physician’s office immediately if you suffer from any abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting during the procedure.
- You may drink colorless liquids starting two hours after swallowing the capsule.
- You may have a light snack four hours after ingestion. After the examination is completed, you may return to your normal diet.
- Use the provided Capsule Endoscopy Event Form, to note the time of any event such as eating, drinking or a change in your activity. Return the completed Event Form to your physician at the time you return the equipment.
- Avoid strong electromagnetic fields such as MRI devices or ham radios after swallowing the capsule and until you pass it in a bowel movement.
- Do not disconnect the equipment or completely remove the recorder at any time during the procedure.
- Avoid sudden movements and banging of the recorder.
- Avoid direct exposure to bright sunlight.
For questions about the procedure or the prep:
During regular business hours Sunday through Thursday please call the Contact Center 800 8 CCAD (800 8 2223) and request to be transferred to a Digestive Disease Institute clinic nurse.
After hours and during weekends, please call Contact Center 800 8 CCAD (800 8 2223) and request to speak to the physician On-Call.