- Wash your hands with soap and warm water. Dry them with a clean towel.
- If you are putting in your own eye medicine, you can lie down or use a mirror. Ask someone to check that you are getting the medicine in your eye.
- Look up to the ceiling with both eyes.
- Pull the lower lid of your eye down with one hand. Hold the medicine bottle or tube in your other hand (rest part of your hand on your forehead if necessary to keep it steady).
- Place a drop of medicine or a small amount of ointment inside your lower lid. The tip of the medicine bottle or tube should not touch your eye.
- Close your eyes for a minute after putting in the medicine.
- If you are prescribed both eye drops and eye ointment, use the eye drops first.
- If you have more than one eye medicine to put in your eyes, wait about 5 minutes after the first medicine before putting in the second medicine.
If you have any questions, talk to your eye care doctor.