Many people only visit the doctor when they are feeling unwell. However, scheduling an annual check-up, regardless of how fit and healthy you feel, can be essential to maintaining or improving your overall health and wellbeing. These are the reasons why:
- Preventative care: An annual check-up isn’t simply a series of tests. It’s an opportunity to discuss with your physician your family history, lifestyle and, of course, any medical concerns you may have. Evaluating the information you provide and from any tests you undergo, your physician may able to identify any potential medical issues and take preventative action against them.
- Early detection: Routine testing and check-ups can identify underlying medical conditions before you experience symptoms. Early diagnosis can be critical in minimizing the severity of a condition, as well as boosting treatment success.
- Fast track treatment: If your check-up does lead to a diagnosis, then additional tests can be carried out or scheduled immediately. Alternatively, your physician may be able to prescribe a treatment plan you can begin straight away.
- Health planning: Use your annual check-up to map out a path to retaining or improving your health and fitness over the next year. If you’re on medication, your physician can review how it is working and if any changes are required. Alternatively, if you have a health goal in mind, like losing weight or giving up smoking, together you can create a plan to help you achieve it.
- Alleviate concerns: You may have a specific symptom that is troubling you, or perhaps just a niggling doubt in the back of your mind that something isn’t quite right. By discussing it with your physician, you will help them in establishing the root cause. Voicing your concern can also be beneficial in reducing any stress it is causing.
Annual check-ups can vary according to age, gender, family history and overall health, contact your physician to schedule your check-up and find out what it will involve.