Sometimes it can be difficult to say no to that slice of cake that your work colleague baked over the weekend or the chips, chocolate and cookies stored in your kitchen cupboard. Make these super simple and tasty bars that will keep you going until lunchtime so you can avoid any unhealthy temptations.
Morning: Energy Bars
Makes 8 bars
With only three ingredients and no cooking involved, these energy bars are ideal for people who find themselves needing a morning boost. Dates are a great source of fibre and are rich in magnesium, which together help to keep your heart healthy and your digestive system functioning smoothly. Using dried fruits in limited quantities is a great way to satisfy a sweet tooth without adding any refined sugar.
1 cup skinned almonds
1 cup small raisins
1 cup or 12-15 pitted dried dates (Medjool are preferable)
- Roast the almonds (optional) at 175°C for 5-6 minutes. Watch them carefully to avoid burning. Allow to cool.
- Combine the almonds, raisins and dates in a food processor. Pulse a few times to break everything up and then process continuously for 30 seconds. Scrape the sides of the bowl to ensure nothing is sticking. Process for 1-2 minutes until a large ball is formed.
- Remove the mixture from the processor and lay it onto a large piece of plastic wrap. Push the mixture into a thick square shape and wrap and chill for over an hour.
- Unwrap the chilled mixture and transfer to a chopping board. Cut into 8 large bars or 16 small squares and wrap each in plastic wrap or paper.
- Store the bars in the fridge for up to several weeks or in the freezer for up to 3 months.